Why did you first create your hair care line?
Between 2005-2009, there was a huge wave of black women promoting natural hair and self-acceptance. You could watch videos giving encouragement, advice, product reviews and styling tutorials for natural hair. Blogs and vlogs were popping up on social media platforms. As "going natural" became popular, so did the desire to treat hair with organic ingredients. We saw this opportunity to create a hair care line that catered to women who wanted to have natural hair.
When did your first product come out?
Organic Seven Botanical-Rich Creamy Conditioner was our first and only product released in 2010. It quickly became a customer favorite, selling out five hundred 16 oz. bottles. Seven years later, customers have been waiting for the next release. Now we’re back with our Botanical-Rich Clarifying Shampoo and Leave-In Conditioner.
Are your hair care products only for natural hair or can anyone use them?
Absolutely anyone can use these products. Although initially inspired by the natural hair community that makes up black women, our goal was to create products that could benefit all hair types. Our products have been tested on the kinkiest hair, loose curl, fine texture, and with women of different races. Our conditioners provide just enough moisture for coarse, kinky hair while not weighing down finer hair.
What are the ingredients you use in your hair care line?
Organic Seven hair care products are made with ingredients that are familiar to women in the online natural hair community. Here are the core ingredients and why we chose them:
- Shea butter is used for moisturizing skin and hair.
- Jojoba oil is used to moisturize skin and hair.
- Olive oil is used to moisturize hair and skin
- Almond oil is known to treat hair loss and damaged hair.
- Avocado oil is known to promote hair growth.
- Peppermint oil is known to promote hair growth by stimulating blood circulation in the scalp.
- Eucalyptus oil is known to stimulate hair follicles.
- Nettle extract is known to prevent hair loss.
- Rosemary extract is known to stimulate hair growth and treat dry scalp and dandruff.
- Lovage angelica extract is known for treating hair loss.
- Safflower extract is known to promote hair growth.
- Argan oil is known to treat split ends and make hair softer and shiner.
How did you come up with the formula?
Organic Seven was born out of a movement to support natural hair. After much experimentation, we took the essential ingredients to a chemist/manufacturer to formulate our products. The chemist then created a product with our ingredients that were FDA-approved and free of parabens and sulfate.
How long did it take to formulate and bottle your products?
It's been a process. Organic Seven started in 2010 with a conditioner/leave-in rinse. The logo and bottle labeling has been revised since its initial release. Two years ago, we expanded the line with a shampoo and leave-in conditioner.
Why was it important to have an eco-friendly line of hair care products?
We believe that it is important to have integrity when you provide a product or service that benefits individuals, the community, and the earth. Our products are free from toxins that can be harmful to individuals or the earth.
Where are your products made and the ingredients sourced?
Organic Seven products are manufactured in California by an experienced certified chemist licensed to make and distribute hair care and skin care products. Our products follow FDA regulations.